Friday, 11 June 2010

2010 FIFA World Cup Diary: Day One


I really wish I had a video camera so I could record the madness and patriotism that I saw in Cape Town on the 11th of June 2010, the first day of the 2010 Fifa World Cup.
We started at Ratanga Junction where we parked our car at the Park and Ride facility. From there we got onto the shuttle and arrived at the train station which is absolutely stunning. I felt like I was in London. We then waited with hundreds of other fans dressed in green and gold (more yellow looking than gold). Once we got on the train there was no turning back. The vuvuzelas did not stop.

We arrived at the Cape Town Train Station, which looks like an airport but sounded like a Soccer Stadium. It was vuvuzela 24/7. The plan was to go to the Fan Park but by the time we arrived it was already full so we got onto the new London-like buses and made our way to the Waterfront.

We got to the V&A Waterfront and it felt like I was at the stadium. The Uruguayans basically made their own fan park at the V&A. They put up a huge sign and were singing. The amphitheater at the V&A looked like a stadium.

We went to sit at our favourite fish and chips restaurant which is right on the harbour. It was there were we sang our National Anthem and watched South Africa make us proud.

Now there was one fan, an afrikaans male. Now you can tell that this guy only watches rugby. He was even wearing his Springboks t-shirt, but today, he was a Bafana Bafana fan. He had is vuvuzela and his flag and you could tell he wasn't really sure of how soccer works as he was forever asking about the rules. But when Mexico scored, he put his head on the table and I thought he was going to commit suicide. When he brought his head up he was just so sad. I was really scared because I thought he was going to commit suicide. He then took out his vuvuzela and blew it!

South Africa might have not won the match but it was a very good effort by the South Africans.
Siphiwe Tshabalala united a nation with his goal.


In the shuttle on the way to the train station.

Waiting for the train at the beautiful train station. I felt like I was at the airport (okay not the outside part). But well done to City of Cape Town. It's a beautiful station. Everyone had their vuvuzela's and we started a mini fan park while waiting for the train


In the train which by the way was yellow (lots of people were wearing Bafana Bafana shirts, okay everyone was wearing them). Still the vuvuzela's were the only language used for communication. People were taking photos, singing and debating on what the final score would be. And people weren't being strange and saying things like "OMG what if we die." "I've never been on a train before." "South African transport is so crap." Everyone was so positive and ready to show the world what we are made of.



Who ever thought that people would blow vuvuzela's in a mall, especially the V&A Watefront. But I swear, some of these men are pretending to be South African because I've never seen South Africa men who look like this. Maybe I've been in Pretoria too long or they have just been watching Cricket and Rugby


Uruguay fans who came up to us and asked for a photograph. I won't even lie I thought they where from Greece, because of the flag


If you look closely at the back you will see a whole lot of people with vuvuzela's. They were watching at the amphitheater. I called it the mini stadium at the Waterfront because they were acting as if they were at the stadium. They really did have a good time!




The other part of the V&A Waterfront

With the French before their match.

The French ... again

2 comments:

KevoTheWriter said...

This is awesome...hahahaha
saw your blog on suzys wall :)

cherrypop19 said...

Nostalgia :( COOL NEW LAYOUT THOUGH MADAM :D

Post a Comment

I do not take credit for any images used except those created by myself. Powered by Blogger.