Wednesday, 1 December 2010

The Model Albino


There's something beautiful about that milk skin. No I'm not talking about the caucasian. I speak of the albino.

Albinism (from Latin albus, "white") is a congenital disorder characterised by the complete or partial absence of pigment in the skin, hair and eyes due to absence or defect of an enzyme involved in the production of melanin. Albinism results from inheritance of recessive gene alleles and is known to affect all vertebrates, including humans. The most common term used for an organism affected by albinism is "albino".

What makes someone beautiful? Their skin colour? Their features? Their hair? I think it's a combination of all above. But what contributes to 70% of someone's beauty is their personality.
10% - Hair
10% - Features
9% - Smile
1% - Skin Colour
70% - Personality

I have never looked at someone's skin colour first and albinos are not an exception at all. In some South African cultures there are very strong prejudices and stereotypes about albinos. If you believe all the myths, apparently they don't get buried or die. They just vanish. Vanish? Come on, let's be serious about life. How can South Africans still have myths, stereotypes and prejudices about other races when we fought so hard to eradicate them. Mind you, it's the race that was oppressed for so many years in South Africa and the rest of the world who hold these stereotypes.

Unfortunately people don't see albinism as a genetic skin condition, rather as a burden. However this is soon about to change. The '10s (not sure what to call the 2010 - 2019 decade) will hopefully be the decade that changes the peoples perceptions on beauty.
The Rise of Albino Models is rising even higher. The two models who are at the forefront of this rise are Shaun Ross and Diandra Forrest.

Shaun Ross


Powder, Casper, White Out. Did all those children forget to say Model.
Born May 1991, Shaun Ross is the new cool guy. I know it and soon everyone else will. He has been in British GQ, Vogue Italia, Paper Magazine and Odyn Vovk.
His modeling career only started in 2008 after his dance career but he is already more accomplished than most models. He might not be the greatest male model in the world ... yet , but please do me a favour and name one male model you know. Besides Gabriel Aubry. Well we only know him because of Halle Berry.

The reason why I think Shaun Ross is about to become the greatest male model is because of his personality. It shines past his skin tone. He has that Cool-Guy-New York personality. He's style vividly reminds me of that '80s hip-hop Run DMC style.


Similar? I think so.


I would tell you to Google his images but the amount of jealousy I feel when I see them ... I wish I was as cool as him. He even seems like a Divo (male version of a Diva). I just want him to be my friend and plus we the same age. I think a trip to Paris, where he resides, is in order.

Diandra Forrest


Beautiful! intriguing! Amazing-looking! Fascinating!

I think this part of the blog is finished. I don't know how else to explain how beautiful Diandra is. I think it's those eyes. I would kill for them. I need to ask Dr. Rey for an eye transplant.




This New Yorker has the potential to become an icon like Karl Lagerfeld and Andy Warhol because of her strong features. The 10s decade is hers for the taking. There is no way you can look like Forrest and not be noticed. We all thought Angelina Jolie had the perfect eyes and lips but it's time for her to step aside.





Icon in the making.

The American model who was recently in the Kanye West, Power music video is redefining the look of a Female Model. She has very pale skin (Could she be white?) and very distinct lips and eyes (Could she be black?). She is merging the gap I spoke about in my Black Will Always Be The New Black blog.


I don't like racism. But if it's one thing I cannot stand it's ignorance. People always question the race of albinos. Did your mom have a child with a white man? We all think we are so civilised just because we have machines that connect us to the world but if the computer in our head have crashed then we will never be able to progress as a society.

With the rise of Albino Supermodels I'm hoping people will eventually be able to let go of certain stereotypes, myths and prejudices and realise that at the end of the day we were all made the same.



Even if the world does end in 2012 at least Diandra and Shaun would have changed the state of minds of millions of people around the world.

The time for being ignorant is gone.


It's time to be open minded and appreciate all things beautiful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I do not take credit for any images used except those created by myself. Powered by Blogger.