Monday, 26 December 2011

Rolling Stone SA


So, South Africa has it's own Rolling Stone magazine. I didn't even know that they were releasing one.
Then I thought to myself; "do I buy a copy, don't I buy a copy?". I really did not know what to do as I did not know what to expect from the magazine.

The female magazines which are in South Africa, aren't all that South African. They have American socialites, singers or actresses on the cover and write stories about other women from other countries. There is very little South Africa in their magazines. Even the fashion spreads are imitations of American and European fashion spreads. So I was quite skeptical when I heard that a South African Rolling Stone magazine was being released.

I immediately visioned the pages being filled with Young Money artists drinking Moet and throwing money. Or South African artists trying to be Young Money artists throwing money and drinking Moet.

I listen to very few South African artists because they all trying to be American and think that the shallow Moet drinking lifestyle can make them as popular as American artists. Maybe these artists are popular in South Africa, but they aren't popular to me. I don't even know one of their songs.

So I decided to buy the magazine. "At least Hugh Masekela is on the cover", I think to myself as I take out my bank card. Swipe and the magazine is mine.
At least they mention South African artists on the cover and rarely mention American artists. (Trust me, I have nothing against American artists. In my mind I'm friends with all the divas).

So I open and it's a normal magazine, it has advertisements for the first couple of pages. The first non-advertisement page (I'm not acquainted with magazine language) is a photograph of South Africans at the South African Music Festival, Rocking The Daisies. "Okay, there's hope for the magazine!"

This could be one of the most South African magazines I have ever purchased.

Now I've never read or purchased the American Rolling Stone magazine but from E! News I can tell that it is pop culture magazine. The South African version is exactly the same. There are even one or two fashion pages. But what surprised me is that they also write about South African politics in the magazine.

This surprised me, but it wasn't a shocker.
In South Africa musicians, actors and the wannabe socialites don't make headlines. Politicians and sports players do. Politicians are our pop culture and having them in a pop culture magazine actually makes sense.

The cover stories of the magazine are very long, maybe the longest I have ever read. Also maybe the most descriptive I have ever read. And there are many different articles on different artists. How many magazines have you read that feature articles on Hugh Masekela, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Van Coke Kartel and Lil' Wayne in one issue?


The magazine also has a review section. I'm done reading other magazine's review sections. From now one I only trust the Rolling Stone's review section. They review CDs, Singles, Movies, Gaming and Gadgets and even have a charts section.

In terms of South African pop culture, this magazine is the best thing that ever happened to South Africa. Finally we'll know about the South African artists we supposed to know about, the ones who make real music.

Maybe now South African pop culture will be made up of musicians and singers, not politicians.
Good luck to the Rolling Stone South Africa team!

Like on Facebook
Follow on Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I do not take credit for any images used except those created by myself. Powered by Blogger.