Thursday, 10 May 2012

My Favourite Music Albums


What is the most difficult question you have ever asked someone? This past week I have realised the most difficult question I have ever asked anyone is: Name your 5 favourite albums.



"This is the hardest question to answer but I'll close my eyes and do it like ripping off a plaster." - Janine Samuels (see her favourites below)

"This is like choosing a favourite child" - Chumi Nxiweni (see her favourites below)

I only understood the severity of the question once it was time for me to compile my favourite albums.

Some people even tried to change the votes of others."He only added one album, so I should be allowed to add an extra four".


The votes are in and none of them have been changed! Let me begin with my favourite albums which will be followed by the statistics of the readers favourite albums.


In no particular order ...



Bad | Michael Jackson | 1987


You cannot compile a list of your favourite albums without including an album from the King of Pop. I wasn't born when this album was released, but I did grow up on it. The Way You Make Me Feel was my favourite song when I was younger. My sister and I had all the music videos on VHS. I also remember being told we were going to attend the Michael Jackson concert which was taking place right outside our balcony. Did we attend the concert ... no, we watched the videos instead. It's good I didn't attend the concert because even at 5 years old I would have probably been one of the girls fainting.

Even if you don't like Michael Jackson, you cannot deny his influence. The Smooth Criminal music video was the first of its time and the fashion he wore throughout all his music videos was fascinating and is still an influence today.

I can't choose a favourite song or music video from this album. But if it was do or die this would be my favourite music video.




Smooth Criminal
"Annie are you okay?"




Thriller | Michael Jackson | 1982

The highest selling album of all time. This is one of those albums that you listen to from the beginning to the end. Once again, give credit where credit is due. Even someone who doesn't like music can't deny the amazing-ness of this album. This album was the beginning of an era we are still living in. Five year old children can imitate the whole Thriller music video without fail. Does that not indicate greatness?
There will never be an album as original and great as Thriller. It was released 30 years ago and the songs are still classic.



 
Billie Jean




Miseducation of Lauryn Hill | Lauryn Hill | 1998


My world it moves so fast today
The past it seems so far away
And I squeeze it so tight, I can't breathe
And every time I try to be
What someone has thought of me
So caught up, I wasn't able to acheive
But deep in my heart the answer it was in me
And I made up my mind to find my own destiny
I look at my environment
And wonder where the fire went
What happened to everything we used to be
I hear so many cry for help
Searching outside of themselves
Now I know His strength is within me
And deep in my heart the answer it was in me
And I made up my mind to find my own destiny
And deep in my heart the answer it was in me
And I made up my mind to find my own destiny
- Miseducation of Lauryn Hill


I only started listening to this album properly in 2009. What I was listening to between 1998 and 2009 I don't know! I knew the album was old, but it shocked me when I found out it was released in 1998. I was listening to an album that was recorded 10 years prior and it was as if I was listening to something that was recorded a couple of months before. 14 years after the release of the album it's still a favourite for many.

There will never be another Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. There will never be another album from a female of this callibre. Think about a female artist who can create an album better than this. When you have thought long and hard, contact me and I'll change my previous statement ... I'm waiting ...


 
Doo Woop (That Thing)




Tutte Storie | Eros Ramazzotti | 1993

I grew up on this album. This album was the soundtrack of our roadtrips. I didn't know what he was saying then and I still don't know what he is saying now. That doesn't change the fact that it's a great album. The language barrier proves that music isn't about language or culture, it's about appreciating something great.

I previously wrote about Eros Ramazzotti and this album in another blog post: Music That Will Last Forever. Just because you don't understand the langugage doesn't mean you can't listen.



Un'Altra Te 



Back To Black | Amy Winehouse | 2006

Most know her as the girl who wouldn't go to rehab. Genuine music lovers know her as a musical gem. When Amy Winehouse made it big in the music industry there were very few females or males even with her vocal ability and pure talent. Her talent was overshadowed by the jealousy of many and her drinking and drug habits. But in years to come we won't rememeber her for drugs and alcohol ... Music Lives On.

It's difficult to say which song is my favourite. They all my favourite. No one knows how to describe a situation like Amy. She rarely uses metaphors, she gets straight to the point.

It's not difficult to listen to the whole album from begining to end on repeat.
It's a dark album that has made many sad but it has also made many appreciate good quality music.


Read the Amy Winehouse Blog Post




Tears Dry On Their Own


There were many albums that I had to cut out. Some of them being
  • X&Y by Coldplay
  • Bridging The Gaps by Black Eyed Peas
  • Love Songs by Elton John
  • Greatest Hits by Cher
  • Number One Hits by Mariah Carey
  • Colour Me Free by Joss Stone
  • Songs in A Minor - Alicia Keys
  • The Fame Monster - Lady Gaga
  • Finding Forever - Common
  • Be - Common

Read the Women in Music Blog Post

So according to my readers which album is the most popular? If you have been following pop culture for the last 2 years it's easy to guess.
Over 200 votes were cast but the most favourited album was very clear.

1. 21 | Adele | 2011
Nevermind, I'll find someone like you. The Queen of Heartbreak Pop was the most favourited album. I knew the album would be a favourite for many, but I did not know it would make it all the way to the top. But this does not surprise for me. For a whole year, the 21 album was played everywhere and anywhere.

Read the Adele - 21 Blog Post

2. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy | Kanye West | 2010
“With the passing of Michael Jackson, I feel a responsibility to bring things to our generation that can inspire and bring real culture to pop culture,
I don’t sleep any more thinking how we are going to fill this gap, and create something to inspire on the level he did."
- Kanye West
 
Could Kanye West become the new King of Pop? Only time will tell. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is a favourite for many and continues to be a favourite 2 years after it's release. At that time there were no albums which were of the same quality. To this day, I haven't heard a hip hop album of the same quality.
It was a brilliant album loved by people who don't even like hip-hop. Maybe the Michael Jackson effect is sinking in.

Read the Comeback of The Year: Kanye West Blog Post

Tied in 3rd Place
Ceremonials | Florence and The Machine | 2011 B'Day | Beyonce | 2006

I am still to hear the Ceremonials album. If it has already been favourited by many then it must be as great as their previous album, Lungs.
Beyonce's B'Day album is an album I know.
She gon' rock them VVS stones
If I let you go
Couped in the 'bach or the Rolls
If I let you go
She gon' profit everything I taught
If I let you go
I can't let you go
Damn, if I let you go
 
Many will tell you that the album was a response to Jay-Z and Rihanna's relationship. I'm not sure what it's about but I know that Queen Bey was angry while making it.
I don't find it to be the greatest album that was ever released but Queen Bey's Beyhive members will tell you otherwise.

The rest of the top 5 looks as follows:
Tied for 4th place:
  • Enema of State - Blink 182
  • Micasa Music - Micasa
  • Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill
  • Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay
  • Parachutes - Coldplay
  • Take Care - Drake
  • Thank Me Later - Drake
Tied for 5th place:
  • Ambition - Wale
  • Back To Black - Amy Winehouse
  • Beatles Greatest Hits - Beatles
  • Blueprint 3 - Jay-Z
  • College Dropout - Kanye West
  • Continuum - John Mayer
  • Get Rich Die Tryin' - 50 Cent
  • Graduation - Kanye West
  • Meteora - Linkin Park
  • OK Computer - Radiohead
  • Oops I Did It Again - Britney Spears
  • Recovery - Eminem
  • Sorry For Party Rockin - LMFAO
  • Thriller - Michael Jackson
  • Tutte Storie - Eros Ramazzotti
  • Watch The Throne - Jay-Z and Kanye West
  • Wolfgang Amadeus Phoneix - Phoneix
  • Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
  • Torches - Foster The People
Summary

Can you spot your favourites?

Albums





Artists

Here are some of the readers votes:


Dlozi Mthethwa : @Dloz_Lami
  • 4 - Beyonce
  • 21 - Adele
  • Destiny Fullfilled - Destiny's Child
  • Corinne Bailey Rae - Corinne Bailey Rae
  • B'Day - Beyonce

Margaret Olwoch : @Id_drinkme
  • Confessions - Usher
  • Dutty Rock - Sean Paul
  • M!ssundaztood - Pink
  • Encore - Eminem
  • Recovery - Eminem

Diana Akopari - @diana_akopari
  • Lover's Rock - Sade
  • Illmatic - Nas
  • Songs In A Minor - Alicia Keys
  • Oops I Did It Again - Britney Spears

Daleen Fourie - @rooipoort1
  • Torches - Foster The People
  • Your Touch - Black Keyes
  • Wolfgang Amadeus - Phoenix
  • Miike Snow - Miike Snow

Naledi Radebe
  • Best of Sting - Sting
  • Best Hits - UB40
  • Full Moon - Brandy
  • Thank Me Later - Drake
  • Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill

Fred Ntambi - @Tizer
  • My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West
  • Carter IV - Lil' Wayne
  • Victory - DJ Khaled
  • Thank Me Later - Drake

Janine Samuels - @jay2sammy
  • 69 Love Songs - Magnetic Fields
  • Neon Bible - Arcade Fire
  • Greatest Hits - James Brown
  • Is This It - The Strokes
  • The White Album - The Beatles

Jana Terblanche - @lulazaza thewilliamsonice.blogspot.com
  • Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
  • ... Oops I Did It Again - Britney Spears
  • The Sun Sessions - Elvis Presley
  • Spice World - The Spice Girls
  • The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths

Lisa Kahimbraa - @LeeseX_x
  • The Evolution of Robin Thicke - Robin Thicke
  • Frank - Amy Winehouse
  • Supernatural - Carlos Santana
  • B'Day - Beyonce
  • Late Registration - Kanye West

Gugu Mtshali
  • Parachutes - Coldplay
  • Homogenic - Bjork
  • OK Computer - Radiohead
  • Blueprint - Jay-Z

Cynthia Gwebu - cynthiagwebu.blogspot.com
  • Rich Forever - Rick Ross
  • Echoes of Silence - The Weekend
  • Watch The Throne-Kanye West and Jay-Z
  • Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay
  • Ambition - Wale

Tiyapo Moseki - tmoseki.tumblr.com
  • My Beautiful Dark Fantasy - Kanye West
  • Continuum/Heavier Things - John Mayer
  • Broken Bells - Broken Bells
  • Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
  • Royksopp - Understanding

Tita August
  • Songs In The Key of Life - Stevie Wonder
  • Black Gold - Nina Simone
  • Sign of The Times - Prince
  • An Evening With Belafonte - Mirriam Makeba
  • Got My Own - Gene Ammons

Alex Oloo - @alekcz
  • Blink 182 - Blink 182
  • Take Off Your Pants and Jacket - Blink 182
  • Enema of The Stage - Blink 182
  • Ocean Avenue - Yellow Card
  • From Under The Cork Tree - Fallout Boy

Lwazi Bengu
  • Call Me Irresponsible - Michael Buble
  • Moods - Will Downing
  • Catching Tales - Jamie Cullum
  • Distance and Time - Fink
  • For Emma, Forever - Bon Iver

Thozama Mputa - thozama.tumblr.com
  • Afrika - Mirriam Makeba
  • Nothing But The Sun - Sting
  • Tutte Storrie - Eros Ramazzotti
  • Legend - Bob Marley
  • Graceland - Paul Simon

Chumi Nxiweni
  • Graduation - Kanye West
  • Back To Black - Amy Winehouse
  • 19 - Adele
  • Corinne Bailey Rae - The Sea
  • Viva La Vida - Coldplay

Dina - @misss_dina
  • 21 - Adele
  • College Dropout - Kanye West
  • B'Day - Beyonce
  • Blueprint 3 - Jay-Z
  • Ceremonials - Florence and The Machine

Shawnee - @smith_6_shawnee
  • 21 - Adele
  • Ceremonials - FATM
  • Pink Friday - Nicki Minaj
  • This is It - Michael Jackson
  • B'Day - Beyonce

Amy Collier
  • 21 - Adele
  • Parachutes - Coldplay
  • Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
  • Take Care - Drake
  • Only By The Night - Kings of Leon

Ismaeel Shabalala
  • Premier Politics - Sir Michael Rocks
  • Kush And Orange Juice - Wiz Khalifa
  • Stakes is High - De La Soul
  • From Westside with Love Part Two - Dom Kennedy
  • Minstrel Show - Little Brother

Claudio Barreiro - @3arreiro
  • Beatles Greatest Hits - Beatles
  • Enema of State - Blink 182
  • Silence Echoes - Foo Fighters
  • Micasa Music - Micasa
  • TKZee Guz Hits - TKZee

George tglou.blogspot.com
  • Light and Gold - Eric Whitacre
  • Adiemus - Karl Jenkins
  • 21 - Adele
  • Impression of the West Lake - Kitaro

  • Mightbook - Ludovico Einaudi

Marc Hatton
  • 21 - Adele
  • Torches - Foster The People
  • Californication - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
  • My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West
  • In Between Dreams - Jack Johnson

Khuselo Mputa
  • Fela Kuti - The Best of the Blsck President
  • Jay Dee & Madlib (Jaylib) - Champion Sound
  • Company Flow - Funcrhusher Plus
  • Nonameko - The Godess Vol. 1
  • Tame One - Acid Tab Vocab

Adria Saracino - adriasaracino.com
  • XX - The XX
  • Say Anything - Is a Real Boy album
  • Brand New - Deja Entendu album
  • Kid Kudi - Man on the Moon album
  • Something Corporate - Leaving Through a Window album

Marang Matlala - @rang22
  • College Dropout - Kanye West
  • Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill
  • The Black Album - Jay-Z
  • For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder
  • The Very Best of Nina Simone - Nina Simone

Neo Moela - @neomoela
  • Graduation - Kanye West
  • Thank Me Later - Drake
  • Blueprint 3 - Jay-Z
  • Get Rich Die Tryin - 50 cent
  • The Warmup - J. Cole

Vleis Makofane
  • The Motswak Originator - Khuli Chana
  • Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman
  • Moving - 340ml
  • Because of The Times - Kings of Leon

Lean Cronje
  • Loud - Rihanna
  • Talk That Talk - Rihanna
  • Fame Monster - Lady Gaga
  • Hurts - Happiness
  • This is War - 30 Seconds To Mars

A big thank you to everyone who contributed and special thanks to Claudio Barrerio. There wouldn't be a blog post without any of your votes!

1 comments:

Cynthy Gwebu said...

Love the post!

Post a Comment

I do not take credit for any images used except those created by myself. Powered by Blogger.