Friday, 31 August 2012

Songs About Women


No one can deny that most songs if not all are about love. Why everyone speaks and sings about this love I just don't know. Guess I'll have to fall in love in order to find out.
Most men will always talk about how they love women or how women broke their hearts.

Women have been the subject of love songs for years. That just proves that men can't live without women. Yes with women it's the same but women have been admitting their love for men for years.

The first song I ever heard about a woman was Michael Jackson's Billie Jean.



"Billie Jean is not my lover
She's just a girl who claims that I am the one
But the kid is not my son"

In the song, Jackson was telling the world how he was being accused by the sassy Billie Jean of being the father of her baby. In the song he tries to convince us that he is not the father and that Jean is delusional.

However the song is not about Michael Jackson's girl. Billie Jean is a combination of all the groupies Michael Jackson's brothers encountered while they were part of The Jackson 5.

"They would hang around backstage doors, and any band that would come to town they would have a relationship with, and I think I wrote this out of experience with my brothers when I was little. There were a lot of Billie Jeans out there. Every girl claimed that their son was related to one of my brothers." - Michael Jackson

The song famous for it's moonwalk was a hit in the '80s and one of Jackson's most famous songs.

Many may not know Eric Clapton like they know Michael Jackson but you might know his song Layla ... well your parents might.



"Layla, you've got me on my knees.
Layla, I'm begging, darling please.
Layla, darling won't you ease my worried mind."

For me Layla is a woman who wears a red dress and has shoulder length brown hair.

The song which is rated one of the best rock songs of all time is influenced by Clapton's love for Pattie Boyd. Boyd was the wife of his friend and fellow musician George Harrison.
Eventually Boyd and Clapton married and he wrote the song Wonderful Tonight.

If you aren't an Eric Clapton fan, it doesn't matter because this song will make you like him either way.

One man who doesn't need an introduction is Elton John. The very eccentric glam rock musician sings about women and men, for women and for men.

The best friend of the British Royal Family has a song called Nikita which I can't say is my favourite but when you have heard the song for the past 15 years you have no other choice but to like it.




"Oh Nikita you will never know, anything about my home
I'll never know how good it feels to hold you
Nikita I need you so
Oh Nikita is the other side of any given line in time
Counting ten tin soldiers in a row
Oh no, Nikita you'll never know"


The song speaks about how he cannot meet a boarder security guard, (Nikita), because he is not allowed into her country. Even Elton John's best friend George Michael sings vocals.

Other friends who sing together about women are The Police. The group which features Sting as the lead singer was very popular and one of their most popular songs is Roxanne.
The song is about a man who falls in love with a prostitute.



"Roxanne, you don't have to put on the red light
Roxanne, you don't have to put on the red light
Put on the red light, put on the red light
Put on the red light, put on the red light
Put on the red light, oh"

Sting got his idea from the prostitutes he saw near the band's hotel while they were in Paris. The song which has become a classic and many people usually quote it when they see women wearing red dresses.

Another rock song which is still to become a classic is The Red Hot Chili Pepper's Dani California. The song which speaks about a girl Dani who eventually moved to California was released in 2006 and together with it's music video became a hit.



"California rest in peace
Simultaneous release
California show your teeth
She's my priestess, I'm your priest, yeah, yeah

She's a lover baby and a fighter
Shoulda seen her coming when it got a little brighter
With a name like Dani California
Day was gonna come when I was gonna mourn ya
A little loaded, she was stealin' another breath
I love my baby to death "

Dani California was a southern girl who grew up poor, became a mother and lived a fast paced life which unfortunately came to an end. The song is a basic narration of her life from birth till death.

Many of the songs mentioned above speak about love, lies and death but they all talk about women. This is the first women's month post which only features men but I don't really mind. Well I do, but I don't.

As much as women love to hate men, we really can't live without them and they can't live without us. Until we figure out what women want and what men want we will still be singing songs about men, women and love.

Songs are about expressing oneself and love is one of the expressions people love to speak about.
Long live the power of song.
Long Live Love.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

I do not take credit for any images used except those created by myself. Powered by Blogger.