Tuesday, 6 May 2014

VOTE



This is me, 20 years ago during the first Democratic
election season in South Africa
Tomorrow is election day in South Africa. I am not going to tell you who you should vote for because I don't know who I will be voting for.

When having conversations with friends, we usually speak about what our favourite celebrity was wearing on the red carpet, which music we have been listening to and then throw in some comments about the election. The conversation usually ends in all of us not knowing who to vote for. Why is this election so difficult? It's difficult because we know what we don't want for South Africa but can't seem to find a party which meets our needs. It is difficult because we know how great of a nation South Africa is but can't seem to find a party which wants to keep it great for everyone. As difficult as it is, tomorrow I hope everyone wakes up and puts an X next to the party which they think will change not only their own life, but the lives of many other South Africans.

I beg that we are all responsible enough to not spoil our ballots. The South African government thinks that by the time you are eighteen you are responsible enough to choose who should govern your people, please don't prove them wrong.
I understand in spoiling your vote you are trying to prove a point, but rather prove a point by voting strategically.

Former President Nelson Mandela
casting his first vote
If you do wake up tomorrow and decide to rather watch television and do some shopping, that is your what you decided to do on election day and no one can change your mind. However, when I start speaking about the political state of South Africa, please do not feel offended when I prefer to ignore your opinion. Not voting means you cannot complain about the South African government because you decided to do nothing to change it.

As I mentioned above, I still do not know who I will be voting for tomorrow but I can assure you that I will be making mark tomorrow. I am not going to close my eyes and put an X next to the first party my pen lands on, I will be making an informed decision even if it means I have to spend the whole of tonight doing research.

If you are not in your voting district tomorrow, you can still vote for the party you think should govern the nation at any voting station. Voting stations open at 7am and close at 9pm. Please also remember, no selfies with your ballot.

If you don't have a reason to vote, vote because I asked you nicely.
Vote because South Africans lost their lives to trying to give you a better future.
Vote because you want to change the future of millions of South Africans.
Vote because you love this country.

Your Vote Counts

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I do not take credit for any images used except those created by myself. Powered by Blogger.