Friday, 1 August 2014

Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence Review


This year I wrote a post called The Lana Del Rey Effect which was inspired by my favourite Lana Del Rey. A couple of months later the Sad Girl released her third studio album which has become my favourite album of the year.

Ultraviolence | Released 13 June 2014 | Studio Album

Ultraviolence plays on the same emotions as Born To Die and Paradise but transports you to a different time. Born To Die lets on reminisce about Summertime Sadness while Ultraviolence puts you in a sad vintage film.
The third studio album by the West Coast singer still has to gain popularity amongst music lovers around the world but one can not deny that it is a great record.

Read The Born To Die Review Blog Post

I'm not one to compare albums but if I had to do a comparison, it is clear that Born To Die had a stronger impact on pop culture than Ultraviolence as it was the first time we had heard Del Rey's sound. Ultraviolence is not worse or different but because we used to the Lana del Rey sound there is no element of surprise.
What did surprise me was the lyrical content of the music. The content has become a lot more intellectual and she uses phrases, metaphors and analogies one would not have thought of.

Money, love, power and sadness makes up the lyrical content of this album, something young people are exposed to every day. That means anyone can and should listen to it. It's either you are hearing the stories of people you know or once knew or in fact hearing your own life play out while listening to this album.


"It's a little more stripped down but still cinematic and dark. I've been working on it really slowly but I love everything I've done. I've been writing in Santa Monica and I know what the record sounds like. Now I just have to finish it. Musically I've worked with the same three guys." - Lana Del Rey

They say I'm too young to love you
They say I'm too dumb to see
They judge me like a picture book
By the colors, like they forgot to read
I think we're like fire and water
I think we're like the wind and sea
You're burning up, I'm cooling down
You're up, I'm down
You're blind, I see
But I'm free
I'm free

Brooklyn Baby

Must hear songs from the album are Ultraviolence, West Coast, Sad Girl, Money Power Glory, Old Money and Black Beauty.

Lana Del Rey has popularised her genre and has also become an icon for our current decade. Women singers of this decade usually show more skin than talent and Lana Del Rey has not only shown talent and versatility but has also created a sub culture which women can relate to.

Read The Lana Del Rey Effect Blog Post

The sad girl who isn't afraid to show how she is really feeling finally has a voice. Lana Del Rey has made it okay to be honest and vulnerable in music and even though one could debate that there were many woman doing so before, no one quite does it like Lana. When she sings about her experiences it feels real, it feels like you were there in studio with her while she was telling her story.

The power of youth is on my mind,
Sunsets, small town, I'm out of time.
Will you still love me when I shine,
From words but not from beauty?

My father's love was always strong,
My mother's glamour lives on and on,
Yet still inside I felt alone,
For reasons unknown to me.


Old Money


I paint my nails black,
I dye my hair a darker shade of brown
'Cause you like your women Spanish, dark, strong and proud
I paint the sky black
You said if you could have your way
You'd make a night time of today
So it'd suit the mood of your soul

Oh, what can I do?
Nothing, my sparrow blue
Oh, what can I do?
Life is beautiful but you don't have a clue
Sun and ocean blue
Their magnificence, it don't make sense to you

Black beauty, oh oh oh
Black beauty, oh oh oh

I paint the house black
My wedding dress black leather too
You have no room for light
Love is lost on you
I keep my lips red
The same like cherries in the spring
Darling, you can't let everything
Seem so dark blue

Oh, what can I do?
To turn you on or get through to you
Oh, what can I do?
Life is beautiful but you don't have a clue
Sun and ocean blue
Their magnificence, it don't make sense to you

Black beauty, oh oh oh
Black beauty, oh oh oh

Black beauty, ah ah
Black beauty, ah ah
Black beauty, ah ah ah ah
Black beauty, baby
Black beauty, baby

Oh, what can I do?
Life is beautiful but you don't have a clue
Sun and ocean blue
Their magnificence, it don't make sense to you

Black beauty, oh oh oh
Black beauty, oh oh oh
Black beauty, oh oh oh
Black beauty, oh oh oh


Black Beauty

It is a great album and I cannot imagine why she almost didn't release it. Give yourself a weekend in to sit and not only listen to the album but appreciate good music.
The lyric content of Ultraviolence is the best way to illustrate a certain sub culture of today's youth and the music production makes it easier to live in the world of a Sad Girl.

He used to call me DN
That stood for deadly nightshade
Cause I was filled with poison
But blessed with beauty and rage
Jim told me that
He hit me and it felt like a kiss
Jim brought me back
Reminded me of when we were kids


Ultraviolence

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I do not take credit for any images used except those created by myself. Powered by Blogger.