Essential Oils for Hair

Almost every single day I have someone asking me what I use on my hair so I decided to do a quick blog post to explain the process. Cur...


Almost every single day I have someone asking me what I use on my hair so I decided to do a quick blog post to explain the process.

Curly hair is naturally drier than straight hair so it needs to be hydrated all the time. It's worse now that I have moved to Johannesburg, it feels like I have sandpaper for hair. Your hair naturally produces oil but I find that shampoo and conditioner strip your hair of it's natural oil which is why you need to supplement the oil that you lose during wash days.

Natural hair queens will tell you that only certain oils work for certain hair types but I wore my hair natural before we had hair categories and I tend to exaggerate so I use all the oils they sell at Dischem. It's quite straight forward really, buy all the oils and mix them together in one container. But let me break down even further.

Get a plastic bottle (or glass if you not clumsy) and put it in lukewarm water as coconut oil will need to melt first. I always start with oils I use most frequently; olive, castor and coconut oil. Fill your bottle to halfway with these three then top it off with what I call lavish oils. (Lavish oils are very expensive hence the name) The lavish oils include: jojoba, almond, tea tree, grape seed, peppermint and lavender oil. Don't finish all the lavish oils as they are very over powering especially tea tree oil.

By now the coconut oil should have melted. One shake and you are good to go. I use the oil combination on my hair every second or third day depending but I also put it in cornrows after. I also oil my hair the night before I wash it. Like I said most shampoos strip your hair of it's natural oil so rather take precaution before or use the oil on your hair while it's still wet after your wash.

This is an expensive exercise however it's expensive only when you start. Once your oils start to run out, top it up with coconut, olive and castor oil then only purchase one lavish oil. There is no need to start the whole process again.

All the best!

You Might Also Like

0 comments