Sunday Times Generation Next Awards 2014

This year I had the opportunity to be part of the Sunday Times Next Generation campaign. When I went to the Shooting Studio in Rosebank, ...


This year I had the opportunity to be part of the Sunday Times Next Generation campaign. When I went to the Shooting Studio in Rosebank, I knew I would one day find myself in the Sunday Times Newspapers, however I did not think so many people would actually recognise me.

It was a rainy day in Pretoria and I had just come from fabric shopping when I received an e-mail which asked me to be part of a photo shoot. Being the curious person I am I said yes to the shoot and found myself in front of a camera and imitating poses I saw the Spice Girls do in their film, Spice World. 
The photo shoot was amazing and I left thinking to myself, even if I don't make the final cut, I'm glad I did it, glad I was in front of the camera for once.

A couple of weeks go by and while finishing some school work, my mother sends me a message asking me if I am an ambassador. Because I had already forgotten about the photo shoot, I really had no idea what she was talking about. She then sent my sister and I a photo of the newspaper insert and it all made sense.

I made my first appearance in the Sunday Times a month ago and I have been receiving phone calls ever since. Not only did I receive phone calls I would even have people stop me in my tracks to ask if I am the girl in the Sunday Times.
When I arrived at my aunt's house, two weeks ago, the security guards stopped me and asked if they could work for me. Even if they could just be my driver.
Besides people asking to be my driver, I had numerous Facebook friend requests come in every day and e-mails where new blog readers would ask if I could be their friend.

"Now in its 10th year, the 2014 Sunday Times Generation Next Brand Survey Awards, reveals what the South African youth, aged between 8 and 22, deem cool." - Sunday Times Next Generation Awards

The Sunday Times Generation Next campaign is brilliant and I am not saying that because I am part of it. Youth live most of their days through social media channels and broadcast what they love in hopes that their peers can love it too.


"Sunday Times Generation Next is the annual survey conducted by HDI that captures SA's favourite brands as voted by the Youth. Teens like Zovuyo create their personal brands via social media and have strong opinions about other brands which they instantly share.

Zovuyo's identity is her brand. How would yours look? You can create your very own brand at: www.stgenerationnext.co.za and you could win 1 of 3 R2000 Game Vouchers."

It is an honour to be part of this campaign and all thanks go out to the people who found me and made it work. Yes, all the attention was very awkward but I appreciate all the phone calls, Facebook statuses, Tweets, Instagram posts, it has made all the attention bearable.

Be sure to check out the Sunday Times Generation Next Awards Facebook page and Website to learn more about the awards.


stgenerationnext.co.za | Sunday Times Generation Next Awards Facebook Page

You Might Also Like

0 comments