The Internet - Ego Death Review

Indie-RnB ... I'm quite sure that term doesn't exist, so let us be the first to coin it. The Internet make Indie-RnB and it is the b...

Indie-RnB ... I'm quite sure that term doesn't exist, so let us be the first to coin it. The Internet make Indie-RnB and it is the best Indie-RnB I've heard. So why do I call it Indie-RnB? It's Indie because you won't find it playing on Metro FM on a Sunday. It's Indie because alternative music listeners will listen to this. The girl who only listens to diva RnB will give this a listen and tell you it's not soul enough. It may not be the soul your mother listens to on a Sunday when cleaning the house but it's close enough. It is the soul I will listen to when I clean the house.


Ego Death | Released 26 June 2015 | Studio Album

Sydney Bennett, Jameel Bruner, Steve Lacy, Patrick Paige II and Christopher Allan Smith make up the band who are part of Odd Future. I first came across The Internet from a Street Etiqutte mix which my sister gave me. Penthouse Cloud is the track they added to their Audio Visuals 010 mix.

Penthouse Cloud then became my favourite song by the band. The song starts with a narrative about what Americans see on television everyday then moves into what the rest of the album is about, love.

Did you see the news last night?
They shot another one down
Does it even matter why?
Or is it all for nothing?

Father, oh Lord in heaven, is this how you saw it?
When you made your creation, is this what you wanted?
Is this what you wanted?

Maybe we’ll never know
Or maybe we’ll find paradise in the sky
When we die
When we die
When we die

Took her to the moon last night
Let a little, wait a little, why?
Left everything else but high
No plans on coming home

Father, oh lord in heaven
This is what you’ve started, it’s your creation
Is this what you wanted?
Is this what you wanted?

Rather watch the world burn down from a penthouse cloud, real talk
But if this is what you want I’ll fight ’til the smoke-filled skies make the days turn night, then what?
Maybe when the world burns down and the clouds turns black and the sky turns white and the days turn night
It’s a war outside, it’s a war outside, it’s a war outside
Or maybe we’ll find paradise in the sky
When we die


Penthouse Cloud


Sydney Bennett aka Syd The Kyd, is the songwriter and singer of the group and does a great job at it. She sings with no effort yet is probably one of the best singers to release in 2015. When listening to The Internet, the first thing you love is Sydney's voice, listen twice and you fall in love with her colourful content. Yes, the content is very simple but it's a lot more that you and I would ever be able to write.

Now she wanna f**k with me (f**k with me)
Live a life of luxury, models in my money trees
Such beautiful company
Fuck a 9 to 5 I’m seeing dollar signs
But I'm still driving around in my old whip
Still living at home, got issues with my
Old chick she blowin' up my phone
Talkin ‘bout some bull***t
Like who’s this, who’s that
Could be worse
So to calm her nerves
I just tell her

Roll up an L and light it
Let’s go to space
Be my co, I’ll be the pilot
Let’s get away
Let’s get away
Let’s get away
Let’s get away
Baby let’s get away

Money doesn't grow from trees
Maybe we can make believe today
All I need is company
Rest assure I got it babe

Working for the finer things (finer things)
Getting in all kind of ways
[?] under my champagne
Every day we celebrate (celebrate)
F**k your little phones a million a’int enough
But I'm still driving around in my old whip
Still living at home, got
Issues with my new chick
She blowin’ up my phone
Now all I hear is womp’ womp’, womp’ womp’ (womp’ womp’)
But it could be worse
Girl calm your nerves I want you to

Roll up an L and light it
Let’s go to space
Be my co i’ll be the pilot
Let’s get away
Let’s get away
Let’s get away
Let’s get away
Baby let’s get away

Money doesn’t fall from trees
Maybe we can make believe today
All I need is company
And the rest is yours, I promise babe
If money don’t


Get Away


Janelle MonaƩ, Vic Mensa, James Flauntleroy, Kaytranada, Steve Lacy and Tyler The Creator all feature on the album. It is a very well produced album and you would not think it was recorded in a basement in three weeks.
We need more music like this to be released so upcoming artists and musicians don't feel the pressure to make candy pop.
If you are not going to listen to the whole album make sure you at least listen to the following:

  • Just Sayin/I Tried
  • Girl
  • Special Affair
  • Partner's In Crime Three
  • Penthouse Cloud
  • Palace/Curse

You won't see them win a Grammy, they won't play on MTV ... but in 2015 does any of that matter? I am not a proffesional music critic but believe me when I say this album will be the best album you listen to in 2015, it deserves the five stars I've given it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments