2017 Vodacom Durban July - Outfit Post

Me, Khanyisa Songca, Thozama Mputa, Cameron Nicholas, Chumisile Nxiweni (Left to right) On the 1st of July I attended my third Vodacom D...

Me, Khanyisa Songca, Thozama Mputa, Cameron Nicholas, Chumisile Nxiweni (Left to right)

On the 1st of July I attended my third Vodacom Durban July with my friends. The biggest horse racing event in Africa obviously needs one to dress for the occasion.

My Durban July outfit prep starts the year before as my friends and I always choose to dress according to our own theme. Last year the theme was all black even though the theme for the event was Royalty, or something along those lines. 2017's theme was The Colour of Magic and according to the Durban July that is red, okay. So we had already decided in 2016 that we would all wear suits so I could not now change for the theme.

Once we decided on a theme we jumped onto Pinterest and looked for ideas. A slick black suit was always the dream after I saw Kourtney Kardashian wear one to her mother's 60th birthday party. A second option was also a full print suit but I am extremely fussy with print and I didn't want to look like I was doing too much so I stuck to a colour I know very well, black.

As most of you might know, my biggest fear is zips when it comes to sewing so it was obvious that I was not going to make my own suit. I mean I just started making leggings the other day. I called my good friend Cameron Nicholas and told him that he needs to learn how to sew a blazer because his services are needed for the Durban July.

We went to Durban CBD to get fabric for myself and my sister, Thozama. She had already decided a while back that pink was her colour. I am unfortunately not good with colour as I have been told so I left the colour matching to Cameron. In total I think our fabric was R75 each.
When making suits, obviously depending on your height and size, three meters should be efficient as it worked for both my sister and I and we are different heights and sizes.

The t-shirt I bought at Ackermans for R49.99 at the children's section so in total, without the shoes and socks my outfit came to a total of R124.99. We won't speak about how much my Reebok Classics cost. In fact even my sunglasses were more expensive than the full outfit.

In terms of make up, Khanyi Makeup came to the rescue. Initially we were supposed to do a Durban July prep video. That flopped but we did a full Snapchat Story (zovuyo_mputa) on the day with all our makeup prep. I wish I was a makeup guru but I really am not. Khanyi used a beauty blender, foundation and eye brow brush to try make me look as close to gold as possible. The target was gold and I finished it off with Mac's Bronze Shimmer lipstick.

Hair was obviously done by yours truly. I did a plain braid out for the July and got it right thanks to Lush's Queen Bee hair butter.

2017 Vodacom Durban July Inspiration


A lot of people think my sister and I think we deliberately planned to wear outfits that are the inverse of each other. When in actual fact it was coincidence. Guess it was just the twin gene in us.

2017 was definitely my favourite Durban July outfit to date and glad it all came together.

See you at the next Durban July and once again thanks to Cameron and Khanyisa for the outfit and the face beat.

Check out our photographs on Buuya



You Might Also Like

0 comments