Hat-trick

I spent about three months looking for a Kufi. I looked on the internet and within the streets of Johannesburg and Cape Town. A Kufi which ...


I spent about three months looking for a Kufi. I looked on the internet and within the streets of Johannesburg and Cape Town. A Kufi which usually worn by men in West Africa and symbolises elderly or religious status within communities.

My search was very unsuccessful as I did not have dollars and time to wait for an online purchase and when I did eventually find a few in Johannesburg and Cape Town the price was out of my budget. Everyone told me to just make one myself as it seems quite simple ... this is when you insert a laugh.


This hat has been one of the most difficult things I have made in my short sewing life. I would rather sew fur for the rest of my life then go through the stress of trying to sew a circle onto a straight line. The first hat I made absolutely flopped but I guess practice makes perfect. I eventually came out with three very ill shaped hats but I'm getting there.

The plus side about making kufis is that I don't have to throw away all my fabric off cuts and further contribute to the waste problem we face. I mean I still give away a lot of off cuts but at least now I can still make a profit my the all the fabric.


Because I plan to sell a few of these this year I called my sister and brother and let them know that they would be modelling when I arrive in Cape Town. It's the first time my brother has ever modelled for me but he was a vital part of the shoot as men mostly ask me for the hat.

I won't lie, the photo shoot was a lot more fun than making the hats even though the camera battery started to die before the first photograph was even taken. Of course the charger was left behind in Johannesburg.

If you do want to purchase a hat please do e-mail me but also please give me at least 1 month to perfect my technique. I wouldn't want you to walk around in a lob sided hat.

A big thank you to my brother and sister (Nqoyi and Thozama) for modelling as well as my mother for taking the photographs and bearing with my creative direction.

You Might Also Like

0 comments