Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions Volume 2 Review

The Soul Sessions Volume 2 - Joss Stone | Released 23 July 2012 | Studio Album If you know me very well you will know that I am Joss ...

The Soul Sessions Volume 2 - Joss Stone | Released 23 July 2012 | Studio Album

If you know me very well you will know that I am Joss Stone's greatest fan. I have all the albums and when I heard that she was releasing a new one this year I knew I had to get my hands on it.

The album lives up to it's name, it is definitely a soul session. This album packs up a lot more soul than The Soul Sessions which is her first album that was released in 2003.

Unlike her previous albums like LP1 and Colour Me Free! this album includes a lot more covers such as my now eternal favourite Teardrops (originally by Womack and Womack),
  • The Love We Had (Stays on My Mind) (orignally by The Dells)
  • The High Road (originally by The Broken Bells)
  • (For God's Sake) Give More Power to the People (originally by The Chi-Lites)
  • Pillow Talk (originally by Sylvia)
  • I Don't Want To Be With Anybody But You (originally by Absent Friends)
Read The My Favourite Music Albums Blog Post

Most of the songs Stone has covered are already soul, but she made them even more soulful. Compared to her previous albums she definitely shows off a lot more diva in this album. Her voice is strong and the instruments behind her don't fall short.


The first time I heard the album I was quite skeptical because it was so overwhelming. In every song she used her big voice, the band didn't hold back and neither did the back up artists. It was a bit too much to handle. However I had already chosen my favourite songs after the first listen.

The first time I heard the album Teardrops was my favourite and it still is to this day. Teardrops is one of the most painful songs I have ever heard but one of my favourites. I can listen to it on repeat for a whole year because musically it is a beautiful cover of the original.


Teardrops by Joss Stone

Teardrops

Whenever I hear goodbyes, remind me baby of you
I break down and cry, next time I'll be true, yeah
Fever for lost romance remind me baby of you
I took a crazy chance
Next time I'll be true, I'll be true, I'll be true
Footsteps on the dance floor remind me baby of you
Teardrops in my eyes, next time I'll be true, yeah
Whispers in the powder room
'She cries on every tune, every tune, every tune'

When I'm dancin' 'round, remind me baby of you
I really let you down, next time I'll be true, yeah
I took a crazy chance
'She cries on every tune, every tune, every tune'

Footsteps on the dance floor remind me baby of you
Teardrops in my eyes, next time I'll be true, yeah
Whispers in the powder room
'She cries on every tune, every tune, every tune'

And the music don't feel like it did when I felt it with you
Nothing that I do or feel ever feels like I felt it with you

Hurting deep inside, she cries on every tune
I break down and cry
'She cries on every tune, every tune, every tune'

Footsteps on the dance floor remind me baby of you
Teardrops in my eyes, next time I'll be true, yeah
Whispers in the powder room
'She cries on every tune, every tune, every tune'


If you are looking for a cute love song you will have trouble finding it on this album. The Love We Had is another painfully beautiful song. The thing about Stone and her voice is that she can convince you to feel whatever she's feeling. If you have never been heartbroken before, after listening to this song you will feel like you have.

In previous music reviews I wrote about Lana Del Rey and Norah Jones' heartache but it does not even come close to Stones'.

Read The Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts Review Blog Post

But if you looking for a song to kind of cheer you up then I Got The Blues, Stoned Out Of MindWhile You Out Looking For Sugar and another one of my favourites Sideway Shuffle are the songs for you. The songs are still very soulful but not heartbreaking at all.

I Got The Blues samples Eminem's My Name Is in a very innovative way. The first time you listen to the song you might not hear it so listen twice.
It took me a while to like Sideway Shuffle but once I did I could't stop listening. Musically, the song almost breaks away from the dramatic soul sound that you hear throughout the album. It is a lot more simplified, a lot more mysterious.

Read The Lana Del Rey - Born To Die Review

High Road

We're bound to wait all night
She's bound to run amok
Invested enough in it anyhow,
To each his own
The Garden is sorting out
She curls her lips on a bow
I don't know if you're dead or not
To anyone

Come on and get the minimum
Before you open up your eyes,
This army has so many heads
To analyze...
Come on and get your overdose
Collect it at the borderline
And they want to get up in your head...

Cause they know and so do I
The high road is hard to find
A detour in your new life
Tell all of your friends goodbye

The dawn to end all nights
That's all we hoped it was
A break from the warfare in your house
To each his own...
A soldier is bailing out
And curled his lips on the barrel

And I don't know if the dead can talk
To anyone...

Come on and get the minimum
Before you open up your eyes
This army has so many hands
Are you one of us?
Come on and get your overdose
Collect it at the borderline
And they want to get up in your head

Cause they know and so do I
The high road is hard to find
A detour to your new life
Tell all of your friends goodbye

It's too late to change your mind
You let loss be your guide...

It's too late to change your mind
You let loss be your guide...

It's too late to change your mind
You let loss be your guide...

It's too late to change your mind
You let loss be your guide...





If you have never heard of Joss Stone or her music, do not hesitate to get the album or at least watch the videos that have been put up.
If you are a lover for good music or good soul this is the album for you. If you have heard Stones' music before you'll love this album maybe more than any.

All the songs, covers and originals are lyrically great as well. The content of the songs are just as good as the music that puts them together.


Joss Stone's voice is one of a kind and the amount of effort and emotion that she puts in the songs does not go unrecognised. She has been one of my favourite singers for a very long time because she sings. She is a singer first and celebrity later. Unfortunately she doesn't get enough credit for her work and that's because she isn't half naked on stage or in a video.

Genuine singers like Stone don't get recognised but that is society's loss. I hope after reading this blog you listen to her album and once again appreciate good music.

Once you done listening to this absolutely amazing album you will join my #jossstonecometoSA campaign on twitter.


You Might Also Like

0 comments